Saturday, October 13, 2007

If I was the MTC program director for a day

Having first hand knowledge of what the corp was like five years ago I know what I will change. I will change the fact that last year I only received one and a half in classroom observations. The observations were helpful but they were not from one of my professors. The observations provided good feedback but there was not an opportunity to sit and discuss things that could have been done a different way, or new ideas, etc... This problem can be fixed any number of ways.

1. Have the Ole Miss professors perform at least two on site observations per semester for the first years and one on site observation per semester for the second years.

2. Contact MTC alumni who are still in the area and pay them a minimal fee (to buy refreshments) to form a support group that is content specific for 1st and 2nd year teachers to discuss teaching strategies, methods, assessments, provide guidance, etc... I believe this would foster a sense of community among MTC.

3. More time should be spent with the methods professors during that first summer so we could develop an idea of how we should be teaching instead of following whatever the second years tell you to do.

4. Find an Ole Miss alumni to buy everyone a yearlong subscription to Ed Week and their respected National journal for their subject matter. This way first years can gain new ideas and stay abreast about issues in education.

5. The Delta is full of Ole Miss alumni. Most of the lawyers and accountants graduated from Ole Miss. Get into contact with these people and have them hold a social for MTC, especially during the dreaded month of October, the longest month ever.

6. Recruit people who are not jerks.

7. Recruit people who realize that they are not the savior of the south.

I realize I got of topic but their is a lot that I would change in one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home